Enjoying your favorite foods while vegan is all about capturing texture and flavor! In this alkaline dish, Kyle Johnson of MarketLovr shares his go to vegan sausage recipe- a savory, textured experience which can work wonders in your favorite breakfast, pasta, and pesto creations.
ITALIAN “SAUSAGE” MUSHROOMS
Image courtesy of idratherbeachef.com
2 lbs. brown or white mushrooms
3 tbsp. fennel seeds(start with less water and add more to get your desired texture. )
1 tbsp. of sea salt or Himalayan salt
2 tsp fresh thyme
2 tsp fresh oregano
¼ cup olive or avocado oil
Life Span: about 1 week in the fridge.
- Finely chop mushrooms and place in large bowl
- Pour oil into frying pan (cast iron skillets work best). Then place on stove @ medium-high heat for 90 seconds (skip to next step if oil begins to smoke before 90 seconds)
- Place fennel seeds in pan and stir until golden brown
- Add mushrooms
- Add sea salt and fresh herbs
- Cook mushrooms 10-12 minutes (or until all the water released from the mushrooms has been cooked out)
- After all the water has been cooked out of pan, increase heat to high and sauté mushrooms in pan for an additional 4 minutes
- Remove from fire and enjoy in your favorite red sauce or pesto based pasta!
Visit our What The Health Do We Eat Now panel recap page for more great recipes for maintaining a vegan lifestyle.
Have you ever made or eaten raw vegan sausage? Share your experience below.